Dare Me Beautiful Twitter Facebook Instagram Pinterest

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Octavia Spencer Covers ELLE Mag and Talks Bullying

It seems every other day there is a news story about a young kid being bullied in school or a college student succumbing to the effects of being harassed on some social network.      
Source

Most recently local news anchor Jennifer Livingston has become an overnight celebrity with her response to a "bully" viewer making comments about her weight, which you can view here.


Oscar-winner and ELLE magazine cover girl Octavia Spencer, who directed a short on bullying called The Unforgiving Minute, disagrees with Livingston use of the word bully saying to Jezebel.com

"She [Livingston] stood up for herself and I appreciate that. I don't necessarily know that it was bullying." 


The Help star goes on to define bullying as "facing coercion or physical repercussions on a daily basis." Spencer talks about her experience standing up for herself in the early days of her acting career:


“Early on I had to stand up to a producer – I won’t say who, but he is famous, famous.  He dressed me down in a crowded office.  I told him right there in front of a hundred people, ‘You don’t know me well enough to use that tone’…And then I ran to the bathroom and cried like a baby.  But he never addressed me that way again.  And he is known as a yeller."


You can read the entire interview in the October issue of ELLE magazine's "Hollywood Issue." I won't even mention  how she is shutting the game down with this playful, sultry look. The is due out on the shelves October 16. 

No comments:

Post a Comment